Department of State Logo and United State Flag
Latest Islamic Terrorist Threats Contact Us text



July 2005

The following is intended as a very general guide to assist U.S. citizens who plan to adopt a child from a foreign country and apply for an immigrant visa for the child to come to the United States. Two sets of laws are particularly relevant: 1) the laws of the child’s country of birth govern all activity in that country including the adoptability of individual children as well as the adoption of children in country in general; and 2) U.S. Federal immigration law governs the immigration of the child to the United States.

The information in this flyer relating to the legal requirements of specific foreign countries is based on public sources and our current understanding. It does not necessarily reflect the actual state of the laws of a child’s country of birth and is provided for general information only. Moreover, U.S. immigration law, including regulations and interpretation, changes from time to time. This flyer reflects our current understanding of the law as of this date and is not legally authoritative. Questions involving foreign and U.S. immigration laws and legal interpretation should be addressed respectively to qualified foreign or U.S. legal counsel.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are not resident or domiciled in Grenada, you may not adopt. Furthermore, no adoption is possible for children who are not resident in Grenada.

PATTERNS OF IMMIGRATION OF ADOPTED ORPHANS TO THE U.S.: Recent U.S. immigrant visa statistics reflect the following pattern for visa issuance to orphans

Fiscal Year Number of Immigrant Visas Issued

 FY 2004


 FY 2003


 FY 2002


 FY 2001


 FY 2000



The government office responsible for adoptions in Grenada is the Grenada adoption board:
Ministry of Social Services,
Tanteen, St. George's
Tel: (473) 440-6575, (473) 440-8717 Fax: (473) 440-4780
Secretary of the Adoption Board is Ms. Jeanine Sylvester
A free information booklet is supplied on request.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTIVE PARENTS: The government of Grenada requires that the adoptive parent(s) must be age twenty-five or at least twenty-one years older than the child.

RESIDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS: Grenada requires that applicants for adoption be resident and domiciled in Grenada. The child must also be in the continuous physical care of the applicant for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the adoption order.

TIME FRAME: This can vary greatly, depending on the number of cases before the courts. Adoptions can take from three months to a year.

ADOPTION AGENCIES AND ATTORNEYS : Prospective adopting parents are advised to fully research any adoption agency or facilitator they plan to use for adoption services. For U.S.- based agencies, it is suggested that prospective adopting parents contact the Better Business Bureau and licensing office of the Department of Health and Family Services in the state where the agency is located.

Please see Important Notice Regarding Adoption Agents and Facilitators at our Web site (../info/info_454.html).

ADOPTION FEES IN Grenada: the cost for adoptions is approximately US $2,000.00, though this can vary depending on the fees charged by the local attorney.

ADOPTION PROCEDURES: An initial adoption request is done through a local attorney in Grenada. Subject to the provisions of the Grenada Adoption Act, the court may make an order authorizing the applicant to adopt a child upon an application made in the prescribed manner by a person domiciled in Grenada if the applicant:
(a) Has attained the age of twenty five and is at least twenty one years older than the infant; or
(b) Has attained the age of twenty one and is a relative of the infant; or
(c) Is the biological mother or biological father of the infant

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ADOPTION IN GRENADA: The prospective parents are required to have valid passports, naturalization certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate, birth certificate, bank statements, and medical history. The child will need a valid passport, original birth certificate and naturalization certificate.

AUTHENTICATING U.S. DOCUMENTS TO BE USED ABROAD: Grenada is not a party of the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, so the Legalization Convention “apostille” certificate should not be used for documents to be presented in Grenada.

Instead, the “chain authentication method” will be used to authenticate documents for Grenada. This process involves seeking the proper authorities to attest to the validity of a succession of seals or signatures beginning with the seal on your document, proceeding to the U.S. Department of State Authentications Office, and ending with the seal of the Grenada Embassy or Consulate in the United States.

Three Types of Documents for Authentication :

I. Civil Records and Notarized Documents: Civil Records (birth, death and marriage certificates) must be issued under the seal of the custodian of the state records. Certified true copies of civil records executed before a notary public are not acceptable to foreign governments. The appropriate official in the state government must authenticate civil records or notarized documents. This is usually in the state Secretary of State’s office. To locate this office in the state in which your document was issued, please see the National Association of State Secretaries of State, Notary Public Administrators Section.

State Court Records : Court documents must have an original signature by the judge and seal of the state court. The judge’s signature is then certified by the Clerk of the Court prior to being sent to the state Secretary of State’s office or other appropriate office for authentication of the seal of the state court. See the National Association of State Secretaries of State for information about how to contact the state office that will authenticate a seal on a state court record.

II. Federal Documents: These include documents such as certified copies of I-600As and I-600s, other documents from USCIS or other federal agencies other than the U.S. Department of State. To authenticate these documents, first obtain the seal of the agency that issued the documents. Then the documents must be submitted to the U.S. Department of State Authentications Office for use abroad. Finally, the Grenadian Embassy can authenticate the seal of the U.S. Department of State Authentications Office. Information about replacing a Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization is available from U.S.C.I.S. Please see the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for information about the need for original documents.

III. U.S. Department of State/Passport Records: These documents include Passport Records, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA), and Consular Reports of Death Abroad (CRDA). These are maintained by the U.S. Department of State Passport Office and must be authenticated there. Please see the Passport Service guidance on how to obtain authenticated copies of CRBAs and CRDAs. For information about how to obtain copies of U.S. passport records see the guidance on the Consular Affairs home page.

Please visit our Web site at for additional information about authentication procedures.


Embassy of Grenada
1701 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009
Tel: (202) 265-2561
Email: [email protected]

Grenada Consulate
820 2ND Avenue, Suite 900 D,
New York, N.Y. 10017.
Tel: 212-599-0301


Prospective adopting parents are strongly encouraged to consult U.S. CIS publication M-249, The Immigration of Adopted and Prospective Adopting Children, as well as the Department of State publication, International Adoptions. The U.S. CIS publication is available at the U.S. CIS Web site. The Department of State publication International Adoptions can be found on the Bureau of Consular Affairs Web site,, under “International Adoptions.”

Adoptive parents are strongly encouraged to read the flyer the requirements for filing I-600 petitions for orphans adopted by U.S. citizens before completing an adoption abroad. Please see our flyer How Can Adopted Children Come to the United States at our Web site


The U.S. Embassy in Grenada does not issue visas. All visas for Grenadians are reviewed and issued in the American Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados. All questions concerning adoption and visas should be addressed to the Consular Section in Bridgetown, Barbados. Their e-mail address: [email protected]
They can also be reached at:
Tel: (246) 431-0225
Fax: (246) 431-0179

Note: Visa issuance after the final interview now generally takes 24 hours and it will not normally be possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview.

Americans living or traveling abroad are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website, , and to obtain updated information on travel and security within the country of travel. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency. The Consular Section is located at:

Street Address:
U.S. Embassy
Lance Aux Epines Main Road,
St. George's, Grenada

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 54
St. George's, Grenada,
Tel: (473) 444-1173;
Fax: (473) 444-4820;
E-mail: [email protected]

NATURALIZATION: Under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, which became effective on February 27, 2001, orphans adopted by U.S. citizens acquire U.S. citizenship automatically when all of the following requirements have been met:

  • at least one parent is a U.S. citizen;
  • the child is under 18 years of age;
  • there is a full and final adoption of the child; and, the child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant.

A foreign–born adopted orphan who enters the United States on an Immediate Relative (IR) –3 visa is eligible to receive a Certificate of Citizenship upon admission. It is important that both parents (if married) or one parent if single have seen the child prior to or during the adoption in order to qualify for U.S. Certificate of Citizenship review. A foreign-born orphan, who enters the United States on an IR-4 visa and is adopted in a U.S. court, will be eligible to receive Legal Permanent Resident status until a final, legal adoption is granted in the state of residence, at which time they are eligible for U.S. citizenship. For further information, please consult with the consular section at the U.S. Embassy or the nearest office of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Additional information is available at: ../../childcitfaq.html or

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Specific questions about adoption in Grenada may be addressed to the U.S. Embassy in Grenada. General questions regarding international adoption may be addressed to the Office of Children’s Issues, U.S. Department of State, CA/OCS/CI, SA-29, 4 th Floor, 2201 C Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20520-4818, toll-free Tel: 1-888-407-4747.

Useful information is also available from several other sources:

  • Telephone:
  • Toll Free - For information on international adoption of children and international parental child abduction, call Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747. This number is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may obtain information and assistance during these hours by calling 1-202-501-4444.
  • U.S. Department of State Visa Office - recorded information concerning immigrant visas for adopting children, (202) 663-1225.
  • DHS Citizenship and Immigration Services - recorded information for requesting immigrant visa application forms, 1-800-870-FORM (3676).
  • Internet :
  • Adoption Information Flyers: the Consular Affairs web site at: contains international country adoption information flyers like this one and the International Adoptions brochure.
  • Consular Information Sheets: The State Department has general information about hiring a foreign attorney and authenticating documents that may supplement the country-specific information provided in this flier. In addition, the State Department publishes Consular Information Sheets (CISes) for every country in the world, providing information such as location of the U.S. Embassy, health conditions, political situations, and crime reports. If the situation in a country poses a specific threat to the safety and security of American citizens that is not addressed in the CIS for that country, the State Department may issue a Public Announcement alerting U.S. citizens to local security situations. If conditions in a country are sufficiently serious, the State Department may issue a Travel Warning recommending that U.S. citizens avoid traveling to that country. These documents are available on the Internet at: or by calling the State Department's Office of Overseas Citizen Services Toll Free at 1-888-407-4747. This number is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Callers who are unable to use toll-free numbers, such as those calling from overseas, may obtain information and assistance during these hours by calling 1-202-501-4444.
  • USCIS web site -